Friday, November 23, 2007

Thankfulness

It’s Thanksgiving morning and I felt the need to write. I wrote this for our church newletter, which is why it is posted today, I'm not sure if it will make it into the newletter due to timing so for those of you who recieve it, sorry.
I am thankful for so many blessings in my life. I am thankful that my faith grows stronger in God, Christ and the Holy Spirit, it has grown through both the good and bad times in my life. When my life is less chaotic I honestly admit I forget the blessings and often take them for granted. I will say that through the sorrow, anguish, and struggles of being part of this world I find my self looking, talking and listening to the teachings of God. I believe that struggles provide us with an opportunity to draw near to Our Father. He gives us that choice, to turn away or to grow closer. I use the word “grow” because that is what it’s all about, growing in Christ. Growing our personal faith, our children‘s, and striving to build a community that goes beyond, “Hello, how are you?“
As many of you know Brandon went to Iraq twice. He has always wanted to be in the military, as his mother, it by far is not, and has not been my choice for him. At some point we have to release our children to live their own life, we pray that they will be happy. I pray that my son will find healing from serving. I pray anyone who has served, is serving and will serve in a war will draw closer to God both for comfort and for hope.

I have listened to my son talk about his experiences over there, he witnessed events that no one should witness, anywhere or at anytime. War is inevitable, as long as humans have a choice. How does one heal from seeing a buddy killed by an IED and spending three days cleaning up the vehicle, or a young girl your sisters age lose an arm just from the concussion of a round passing by her, these are experiences that our children, husbands, wives and friends are witnessing. One of the first things Brandon said when he called home from Iraq was to “be sure his brothers and sisters new to be thankful for where we live, and the many freedoms we have“. I am thankful that the events he witnessed didn’t fully turn him away from God. I am thankful for all the men and women who fight for the injustice in the world. I am thankful for the compassion many of our soldiers show the people of Iraq. I am thankful for the freedom God has granted us to make choices, even the small ones matter.

That freedom comes at a high cost, in lives, in spirits, and in time lost. We as a nation, as individuals must remember the sacrifice of these soldiers and anyone who fights for freedom. How can we do that? By creating a nation, community and home that strives to grow in Christ’s love. Christ’s love is unconditional. A place that looks for the good in each other, that is not limited by religious law or beliefs.

God gave us His son, which is why we celebrate Christmas. Can you imagine as a parent what it must be like to give your son up to be crucified? Can you imagine creating a child you know will die for the sins of this world? Have you ever thought what our world would be like if Christ had not had to die for our sins, because we as a people chose the right path? What an amazing unconditional love we have been given. I must work hard at instilling thankfulness in my heart and in the heart of my children. I must daily remember to not take for granted the freedom to chose which path I will follow. Feel free to gently remind me if I am choosing the wrong path and if that doesn‘t work nudge a little harder.

No comments: